Helix “Acoustic Simulation” pack – 47 presets
Price: 10 Euros
This is a collection of Acoustic simulation presets for the Line 6 Helix, for firmware 2.01 and later.
The idea was to use as many different electric guitars/pickups as possible and make tonematch presets for each of them. So if you have an Ibanez with Bare Knuckle or EMG or DiMarzio pickups, or a Fender Stratocaster, or a Gibson Les Paul, the corresponding presets should work to give it a convincing acoustic simulation sound. Each preset works with a specific IR.
I used my Yamaha electro-acoustic guitar sound as a base, and made tonematches for the following electric guitars :
– Ibanez RG 520 QS with Bare Knuckle Holydiver (bridge) and Emerald (neck) pickups (5 presets)
– Variax JTV 89 with DiMarzio Norton and LiquiFire magnetic pickups (5 presets)
– Fender Stratocaster USA with Suhr pickups (5 presets)
– Schecter Damien Platinium FR with EMG pickups (3 presets)
– Ibanez RGIR20FE with EMG pickups (3 presets)
– JTV89 Variax models of acoustic guitar (1 preset), Telecaster (3 presets), Les Paul (3 presets) and Fender Stratocaster (4 presets)
– Gibson les Paul Standard with Burstbucker pickups (with split coil) (5 presets)
– Gibson SG 50th anniversary with Gibson 498T (bridge) and 490R (neck) pickups
– Ibanez J Custom RG8540ZD with Seymour Duncan pickups
– Note that due to the nature of those IRs, their volume is way lower than traditional IR from guitar cabs. I boosted the level in the IR block accordingly. Be careful if you want to try an IR from a different source, the surge in volume will be deafening.
– The global level of the presets have been set to match the stock presets. Most presets I checked on Customtone are too hot imho.
– A minimum understanding of how to tweak Helix presets will be necessary. I stored all the IRs in my Helix to be able to tweak all the presets, but it’s very unlikely that you’ll use all those presets/IRs. Typical use will be to select the few presets that will work with your guitars, load the corresponding IRs where you want and tweak accordingly.
Example : let’s say that you want to use two presets, “AS IB RG Bridge” and “AS LP ST Neck”. The first one uses IR N∞ 66 (As Ibanez Bridge (BN Holydiver)) and the second one use IR N∞ 53 (AS les Paul ST Neck (Burstbucker)). But you can store these IRs elsewhere in the Helix ; just make sure each preset selects the right IR, and store it.
Of course, you can try a preset made for one guitar/pickup position with a different guitar, that may work ! Although a preset made for a Les Paul neck pickup will certainly be way too bright with a Stratocaster bridge pickup…
– I added two bonus presets. “Acoustic+Drive” combines an electric and an acoustic simulation sound. The IR for the electric sound, “87 LX TDR Marshall 1”, is included. If you intend to buy my neck pack, it’s better you keep this IR at the same position, #87. The second one, “Ambiant 3”, uses the IR #66.
Legal stuff : this is a digital download. No refund even in case of buying by mistake. After purchase, the files will be available in the “Purchase history” section of my website
These files are in a .zip compressed archive, which is a standard format. PC users can use Winrar, Winzip or 7zip to extract them. Popular tools for MAC users are Stuffit Expander, Unrar x or The Unarchiver. Most computers already have tools for that, and most of these applications are free.